Skip to main content

Total signs two exploration licenses in Mauritania

Oilfield Technology,


Total has signed two exploration licenses with the Mauritanian government that gives it, as operator, a 90% interest in Block C 9 in ultra deep offshore and Block Ta 29 onshore in the Taoudeni basin. The National oil company SMH will hold the remaining 10%.

The block C 9 is located approximately 140 km offshore Western Mauritania, covering an area of more than 10,000 km², in water depths ranging from 2500 - 3000 m. The Block Ta 29 is located in the Saharan desert, 1000 km east from Nouakchott and north of the Block Ta 7 in which Total is already conducting exploration activities. For both blocks, a seismic acquisition campaign is planned as the first phase of the exploration programme.

With this ultra deep offshore award, we are entering into a high-potential, frontier play, known as the abrupt margin, in which major discoveries have been made recently, like in French Guyana" said Marc Blaizot, Total's Senior Vice President, Exploration. “The license award is aligned with Total’s strategy of expanding its exploration operations into high-potential geological plays while leveraging the Group’s globally recognized ultra-deepwater expertise. The new onshore block is on the same trend as onshore Block Ta 7 on which latest exploration results show good prospectivity in this part of the Taoudeni basin.”

Total has been actively engaged in exploration and production in Mauritania since 2005, Total, with its partners Sipex and Qatar Petroleum International is exploring Blocks Ta 7 and Ta 8 in the onshore Taoudeni basin, in the desert 800 km east of Nouakchott.

Read the article online at: https://www.oilfieldtechnology.com/exploration/09012012/total_signs_two_exploration_licenses_in_mauritania/

 

Embed article link: (copy the HTML code below):