Berenberg analysts Asad Farid and Jaideep Pandya have published a note (accessible here) on the oilfield services sector, initiating coverage on Petroleum Geo-Services, TGS NOPEC and CGG, as well as downgrading both Technip and Subsea 7 to Sell ratings (from Hold).
In summary, they argue:
- The oil services sector is heading for a lengthy period of restructuring
- Unlike prior declines, the rate of oil price recovery is likely to be gradual
- Middle East and North Africa (MENA region) will remain countercyclical and exhibit 7%+ pa growth over 2015-16
- The seismic sector has been proactive in restructuring, and the sharp reduction in global fleet capacity will help limit margin erosion in 2015
- Berenberg has Buy ratings on Petrofac and Amec for their exposure to MENA, and on seismic contractor PGS for its low cost base and strong balance sheet; and Sell ratings on Technip and Subsea 7 due to their disproportionate exposure to deepwater Oil & Gas projects.
Edited from various sources by Joe Green
Read the article online at: https://www.oilfieldtechnology.com/special-reports/09022015/oilfield-services-restructuring-key-387/