Skip to main content

Eni makes discoveries in Egypt's Western Desert

Published by
Oilfield Technology,


Eni has made new discoveries in the Meleiha and South West Meleiha concessions in the Western Desert of Egypt. Preliminary estimates of the resources associated to these new discoveries are at 50 million boe of hydrocarbons in place.

The discoveries in the Meleiha development lease were achieved through the Jasmine W-1X and MWD-21 wells, while in the South West Meleiha exploration concession the discovery was made through the SWM-4X well, located 35 km south from the Meleiha oil centre.

The Jasmine W-1X well encountered 113 ft of net hydrocarbon pay in the Jurassic sandstones of the Khatatba formation with good petrophysical properties. The production test proved a production rate of 2000 bpd of light oil (49°API) and 7 million ft3/d of associated gas. Jasmine MWD-21 well encountered 51 ft of net oil column in Cretaceous sandstones of the Alam El Bueib formation, with excellent petrophysical properties. It is already tied in to production, with a stabilised rate of 2500 bpd.

In South West Meleiha, the SWM-4X well encountered 36 ft of net oil sand in Cretaceous sandstones of the Bahariya formation, with excellent petrophysical properties. The production test proved an initial rate of 1800 bpd with 0.3 million ft3/d.

Altogether, the new discoveries add more than 6000 boe/d to Eni’s gross production. The new discoveries have potential for additional appraisal and production wells that will be immediately planned in order to sustain the Agiba production plateau.

Eni is continuing to pursue its successful near field and infrastructure-led exploration strategy in the Egyptian Western Desert through Agiba, a joint venture between Eni and Egyptian General Petroleum Corporation (EGPC), which allows a quick valorisation of these new resources.

Eni, through its subsidiary IEOC, holds 76% of the contractor’s participating interest in the Meleiha concession while LUKOIL holds the remaining 24%. Both companies are parties in this concession with EGPC and the Government of Egypt.

In the South West Meleiha concession, Eni, through its subsidiary IEOC, holds 100% of the contractor’s participating interest. IEOC, EGPC and the Government of Egypt participate in the concession as parties.



Read the latest issue of Oilfield Technology in full for free: Issue 3 2021

Oilfield Technology’s third issue of 2021 starts with a report from Wood Mackenzie focusing on the upstream industry’s fortunes in Asia-Pacific. The rest of the issue is dedicated to features covering offshore engineering, coiled tubing, frac technology, completion technologies, water management, well placement and much more.

Exclusive contributions come from Wild Well Control, Cudd Pressure Control, TMK, NOV, Archer, Tendeka, TETRA Technologies and more.

Read the article online at: https://www.oilfieldtechnology.com/exploration/27102021/eni-makes-discoveries-in-egypts-western-desert/

You might also like

 
 

Embed article link: (copy the HTML code below):


 

This article has been tagged under the following:

Upstream news Oil & gas news