Skip to main content

PTTEP announces further exploration success in Malaysia

Published by
Oilfield Technology,


PTT Exploration and Production Public Company Limited (PTTEP) has announced another gas discovery from its first exploration well, Kulintang-1, in Block SK438, located off the coast of Sarawak, offshore Malaysia.

Phongsthorn Thavisin, PTTEP CEO, disclosed that PTTEP, through its subsidiary PTTEP HK Offshore Limited (PTTEP HKO), commenced the drilling of the Kulintang-1 wildcat well in Block SK438 in March 2021. The well was successfully drilled to a total depth of 2238 m in April 2021. PTTEP expects to drill another exploration well in this block in 2Q21.

Block SK438 is adjacent to Blocks SK405, SK309 & SK311, SK314A, all of which are operated by PTTEP, with existing facilities nearby. The location, therefore, provides an advantage for future development including the potential for cluster development.

“The Kulintang-1 well adds to the consecutive discoveries PTTEP has made this year which demonstrate our significant exploration progress in Malaysia. The discovery highlights our strong partnership with PETRONAS and continuous efforts in applying new techniques and interpretation to identify opportunities in mature areas. We are determined to explore further and make more oil & gas discoveries in Malaysia to serve future energy demand” said the PTTEP CEO.

Block SK438 is located in shallow waters, approximately 108 km off the coast of Bintulu in Sarawak. PTTEP HKO is the operator with 80% participating interest while PETRONAS Carigali Sdn. Bhd. (PETRONAS Carigali) holds the remaining 20%.

Apart from the Sarawak SK438, Blocks SK405B, SK410B, SK314A, SK417, PM407 and PM415 are also all still in the exploration stage. Major projects in PTTEP’s portfolio in Malaysia include the producing assets in Blocks K, SK309, SK311, the Rotan-Buluh field in Block H and the jointly operated gas fields with PETRONAS Carigali in the Malaysia–Thailand Joint Development Area. PTTEP is also a joint investor with PTT, through the PTT Global LNG Company, in the MLNG Train 9 Project, an LNG liquefaction plant in Sarawak.


Read the latest issue of Oilfield Technology in full for free: Issue 1 2021

Oilfield Technology’s first issue of 2021 begins with a look at US tight oil’s prospects this year. The issue then moves on to cover completions technology, production forecasting, electric fracturing, sand recovery and more.

Exclusive contributions come from Rystad Energy, Archer, Weatherford, Halliburton, CGG, NOV, TETRA Technologies, Clariant and more.

Read the article online at: https://www.oilfieldtechnology.com/exploration/19052021/pttep-announces-further-exploration-success-in-malaysia/

You might also like

Strohm delivers deep-water TCP Jumper in Guyana

ExxonMobil affiliate Esso Exploration & Production Guyana Ltd is set to install a subsea water alternating gas (WAG) jumper made from Strohm’s Thermoplastic Composite Pipe (TCP) on the Liza Phase 2 project in Guyana.

 
 

Embed article link: (copy the HTML code below):