Skip to main content

New gas and condensate discovery in the UK

Oilfield Technology,


Total has announced that its affiliate Total E&P UK has made a new gas and condensate discovery in the West of Shetland on the United Kingdom Continental Shelf, close to the currently under development Laggan and Tormore fields.

The Edradour exploration well lies in block 206/4, 75 km northwest of Shetland in a water depth of 300 m. The well reached a depth of more than 3500 m and encountered gas and condensate in a Cretaceous reservoir with good petrophysical properties. Full formation evaluation, including an extensive sampling programme, has been undertaken. Once the appraisal phase is completed, studies will be launched to consider the development of these new resources through the Laggan and Tormore facilities.

Patrice de Vivies, Senior Vice President, Northern Europe, Total E&P, commented on the discovery: “While definitive testing is still to be completed, Edradour already is another meaningful discovery for us in the West of Shetland region. It should reinforce our third production hub on the United Kingdom Continental Shelf around the Laggan and Tormore fields, after the success of our existing Alwyn and Elgin Franklin hubs.”

Total has a 75% operating interest in the Edradour licence, with DONG E&P UK Ltd holding the remaining 25%. Total (80%) and DONG (20%) are also partners in the Total operated Laggan and Tormore development, which was sanctioned in March 2010 and is scheduled to produce first gas in 2014.

Read the article online at: https://www.oilfieldtechnology.com/exploration/06012011/new_gas_and_condensate_discovery_in_the_uk/

 

Embed article link: (copy the HTML code below):