Gas production begins from third stage of BP's West Nile Delta development
Published by Nicholas Woodroof,
The approximately US$9 billion WND development includes five gas fields across the North Alexandria and West Mediterranean Deepwater offshore concession blocks in the Mediterranean Sea. BP and its partners, working with the Ministry of Petroleum, have developed the WND in three stages.
Raven follows the Taurus/Libra and Giza/Fayoum projects, which started production in 2017 and 2019 respectively. It produces gas to a new onshore processing facility, alongside the existing West Nile Delta onshore processing plant.
Bernard Looney, BP chief executive, said: “Completing this major multi-stage development in the face of many challenges is testament to BP’s long-term commitment to Egypt and our excellent working relationships with partners and the Government. West Nile Delta will make an important contribution to meeting Egypt’s growing energy needs, by providing a cost-competitive and resilient gas supply from the country’s own resources.”
Raven is currently producing approximately 600 million ft3/d. At its peak, Raven field has the potential to produce 900 million ft3/d and 30 000 bpd of condensate.
Karim Alaa, BP regional president for North Africa, added: “The safe start-up of Raven in an extremely difficult period would not have been possible without commitment and close co-operation from the team. Working together with the Ministry of Petroleum and our partners we can now explore the potential use of the West Nile Delta facilities for developing future infill and nearby exploration opportunities.”
In total, the WND development includes 25 wells producing gas to the onshore processing plant via three long-distance subsea tie-backs. The onshore facilities – including the new Raven facility – now have a total gas processing capacity of around 1.4 billion ft3/d of gas. All gas produced is fed into Egypt’s national grid.
BP is the operator and has an 82.75% stake in the West Nile Delta development, with Wintershall Dea holding the remaining 17.25% interest.
Read the latest issue of Oilfield Technology in full for free: Issue 1 2021
Oilfield Technology’s first issue of 2021 begins with a look at US tight oil’s prospects this year. The issue then moves on to cover completions technology, production forecasting, electric fracturing, sand recovery and more.
Exclusive contributions come from Rystad Energy, Archer, Weatherford, Halliburton, CGG, NOV, TETRA Technologies, Clariant and more.
Read the article online at: https://www.oilfieldtechnology.com/drilling-and-production/26042021/gas-production-begins-from-third-stage-of-bps-west-nile-delta-development/
You might also like
Rystad Energy: M&A boom in South East Asia to see US$5 billion of upstream assets for sale
Southeast Asia will be a hotbed for upstream mergers and acquisitions (M&A) in the next two years, with more than US$5 billion of assets up for grabs, Rystad Energy research shows.